2 tablespoons grape seed oil
½ onion, chopped
1 carrot, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 15-ounce can diced peeled tomatoes with juice
5 ounces baby spinach
1 tablespoon herbs de provence
1 15-ounce cannelloni beans, drained
3 cups chicken stock
1 bay leaf
1 parmesan cheese rind (about 3 inches)
1. Heat the oil in a dutch oven over medium heat. Add the onion, carrot, minced garlic, crushed red pepper, salt and pepper.
2. Cook until the onion is golden brown, about 7 minutes.
3. Add the tomato paste and stir until dissolved.
4. Add tomatoes and stir, scraping the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon to release all the brown bits.
5. Add the beans, herbs, stock, bay leaf and parmesan rind. Bring the soup to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
6. Then add spinach and cook until wilted; take out the parmesan rind and bay leaves.